Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Design Test: Learning Requirements



Salam Sem6,

As you already know next Monday (28/2) is the Design Test submission. Please be sure that you take the following issues into consideration before submiting your work. I will explaned what I mean with an example. Lets say you are designing a HOTEL LOBBY:


  1. You MUST prove your design ideas by the Research that you did. Find several lobby layouts and try to learn from them. Question to yourself, What is my Lobby design all about?; What are my layouts proposals based on? What technical issues must be learnt regarding a Lobby?...etc. Please make sure that you LEARN something from your research and have applied it to your designs. Submit your reseach material and show what you learned from them. Do not send in research that are not based on some research and thinking.

  2. Design your lobby based on your research. Please provide several proposals. Show how your lobby functions as a space that joins the main enterance to the theature (example). Ask youself questions like why should my lobby be double volume? Why is my lobby lit naturally by day? Is my lobby confusing to use? What technical information should I know regarding the lobby design?, etc

  3. Show your designs clearly and please use the correct graphic communication techniques. Communicate your design ideas through plans; sections; elevation (if applicable) and perspectives. Communication is the KEY. Questions to ask yourself; Have I communicated my ideas effectively? Can people understand my ideas with me talking about them? Have I used the corrected techniques for communication?...etc

So there are four (4) things that you need to prove on monday:

  • You can do research and learn from them,

  • You can do design that is based on your research,

  • You can use effective graphic communication skills to communicate your ideas.

  • You can think and solve problems
All the best for Monday's submission. Remember you MUST submit by 10am to be qualified for evaluation.

Good Luck

DRN

No comments:

Post a Comment